Monday, May 18, 2015

Forms

It was an interesting experience to explore how to create Forms. Now I know how Dr.Krug create our quizzes.After I watched the tutorials and read the Google Apps book, it didn't seem too complicated to me, but I went across a few problems when I was actually making one.

I went to Google Drive and clicked New to choose a new Form. First I created a title of the Form as "Chinese Culture"on the top left-hand corner. I could add form description, but I didn't because I was creating a simple multiple choices quiz.First of all,I typed "Last Name" in the "Question Title" blank, chose the question title as "Text", then checked the "Required Question" box. Lastly I clicked "Done". I did the same to the second question "First Name".

After creating Last and First Name requirement, I started to make quiz questions by clicking "Add Items".My first question was about Chinese official language. I ignored the "Help Text" because it was unnecessary. It's so convenient to choose from so many types of question such as Text, Multiple Choice, Paragraph Text,Checkboxes, Choose from a list, Scale, Grid, Date and Time.I chose Multiple Choice, correspondingly a few "Option" blanks were displayed.I made four choices then checked the "Required Question" so that students can't submit the quiz until it is completed. Errors are inevitable when teachers create quiz. Forms allows you to edit, duplicate, delete and provide advanced settings. I did the same to my second question. I only created two questions and sent the Form to myself through email.

On the toolbar, it brought me to a spreadsheet after I clicked "View Responses". It showed Last Name, First Name and the two questions on the first row.Right next to the second question, I typed in two correct answers "Mandrain" and "Red", each in the next two cells accordingly. I went to my gmail to use my name to submit the "teacher" answers then randomly made up some quizzes by using a few students' names.It was so cool that after teacher and each student submitted the quiz, responses were showed automatically in my spreadsheet.Next, I typed in a formula to grade students' answers "=if(D2=$F$1,100,0)", then click"enter" on my keyboard, the first answer was graded, either "100" or "0" representing correct or wrong. The sign "$" in front of "F" and "1" was to enable me to drag down the cell to grade the rest of the first answers. I did the same to the second answers. To complete the the self-grading quiz, I created "Student Average" column and sorted the range.

I was able to send it to whoever I want through email and share it on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. I could choose to let receivers only view the form or edit it.However, I couldn't figure out how to "Embed" the link and shorten the link domin. I will explore more to figure out. Anyway, I find creating Forms so powerful and practical to daily teaching, creating quiz and grading. The Form's link and Spreadsheet's link are as follow:

Form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lUH9j6U3GUnyV-l5HBDwx0dn7dqErv-UgPuQKfJd428/viewform?c=0&w=1


Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2-UdUg0IevsrwqJJ6wW_ucexlmyU9O5WEp8BSQ085A/edit?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment