Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Google Spreadsheets

Thoughts about creating a spreadsheet

I have never used spreadsheet before. I wish I knew it earlier when I was teaching in China. Microsoft Excel share plenty of common functions with Google Sheet though. Therefore, it's not difficult for me to handle it.

To start with, I created a simple gradebook of five students.I typed in the categories on the top row, names on the left column and created the students' scores for the attendance, assignment, quiz, project and exam. Next step was a little hard for me-using the function to calculate the final grades. I had learned it in Microsoft Excel when I was in undergraduate, but I haven't used it for years to create grade book. Thankfully, I found a tutorial on YouTube about how to use the Function. I created a SUM formula by including all five categories according to their percentages. I had the first final grade in a cell after I clicked "enter", then I dragged down the column in order to make the rest of the grades easily.I also made a grade chart for visual purpose.

I had a good experience creating my first spreadsheet.It's convenient to manipulate date and numbers as a great helper for teachers and even companies. I think I am able to master many menus such as:File, Edit, Insert, Format and Tool.It's very easy for me to insert a chart and share it with others. I am impressed. Automatic saving function is very helpful,which avoid missing it when the computer turned off accidentally. It will be saved on the Google Docs webpage by itself.However, I still need to explore other menus such as View, Data.  Not sure how to import date from other file, but I will find out soon.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet that I just created.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xRjZK1aHCjLVDHUXlhlwX1VJHrkoko1MY1zkawR_JIs/edit#gid=0

1 comment: